Obtain your certification after completing the coursework by taking our online assessment. You can review for the assessment by using our study guide.
To renew your certification, Submit Your Application Electronically or Download A Paper Application.
In addition to appropriate professional experience in the mental health field, the participant must complete all of the following options:
- Satisfactory completion of Two Day Trauma Certification workshop OR satisfactory completion of 6-week online class OR DVD Courses I – V* OR the equivalent.
- Completion and a passing grade on the CCTP online exam or module exams located within online training offered through IATP.
- Completion and submission of the CCTP application form.
- Payment of $99 certification fee.
To acquire the base level certification of Certified Trauma Professional the applicant must demonstrate knowledge of the following principles at a professional level.
History of Trauma
- Identify the events and seminal figures that contributed to the development of the field of traumatic stress.
- Awareness and understanding of major research, treatment interventions, and important literature in the field of traumatic stress.
“Active Ingredients” in Healing Traumatic Stress
- Compare and contrast evidence-based-interventions, common factors and emerging trends for effective treatment of traumatic stress.
- Identify the common factors for healing traumatic stress
- Comprehend the importance of therapeutic relationship and positive expectancy (relational factors) for positive outcomes in treatment.
- Articulate the role of reciprocal inhibition, relaxation, self-regulation, exposure and narrative in the treatment of traumatic stress.
- Understand concept and procedure for enhancing therapeutic relationship as method for increasing positive outcomes.
- Appreciate the potential deleterious personal effects associated with treating traumatic stress.
- Learn the DSM-V diagnostic criteria for posttraumatic stress disorder.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of prominent clinical assessment tools and instruments.
- Discern the role of scoring and interpretation of assessment and its application to case conceptualization.
- In-depth understanding of the administration, scoring, and interpretation of the Clinician Administered PTSD scale (CAPS).
Identify the elements of various interview protocols (e.g., semi-structured interview, mental status exam, PIDIB) as they apply to the treatment of traumatic stress.
Appreciate both the science and the artistry of interview process with a knowledge that interview is intervention.
Safety & Stabilization
- Recognize the importance of the Tri-phasic Model as standard of care when treating traumatic stress.
- Learn basic psycho-educational components of early treatment of traumatic stress.
- Conceptualize the roles of perceived threat, stress, PNS/SNS, and somatization in the symptoms of traumatic stress and their management.
- Identify the six (6) empirical markers for Phase I of treatment.
- Develop procedural understanding for the early intervention and stabilization skills of self-regulation, grounding, containment and expression.
- Discover the application of the Anti-Regression Protocol as an alternative to hospitalization.
Remembrance & Mourning
- Identify and discuss the effective treatments for traumatic stress
- Comprehend the importance of the Instinctual Trauma Response-its role in the formation and treatment of posttraumatic stress.
- Demonstrate procedural understanding of the use of IATP, LLC Five Narrative Model for Desensitization and Reprocessing of traumatic memories.
- Recognize how common factors/active ingredients are integrated into various models and protocols for treatment with traumatic stress.
- Understand the importance of mourning in healing symptoms of traumatic stress.
- Identify key activities and rituals for Phase III, the Reconnection Phase of treatment.
Recertification is effective for one, two, or three years. You can renew your certification here. To renew, members must submit proof of completing six (6) trauma related CE’s per year. The fees for renewing certification is $49 for one year, $79 for two years, or $99 for three years.